Thursday, August 19, 2004

I couldn't resist

Has anyone ever noticed how insecure Cardinals fans are? They are always bashing the Cubs, worried about the Cubs record, bashing the Cubs fans, talking trash, etc.

Cubs fans, on the other hand, tend to worry about their own team. They don't pay too much attention to the Cardinals unless they are on the field playing against their team. Why is this? Cubs fans are not insecure because they know that the Cardinals are not a true threat. We pay about as much attention to the Cardinals as we do to St. Louis itself. It's got that cool arch thing, but other than that, there's nothing much going on down there. Let's be honest.

The only reason Cubs fans want to beat the Cardinals is to get all those Cardinals fans to shut up so we can move on to face the real threats.

And, yes, I do realize that the Cardinals have the best record in baseball. And I'm still saying to just wait until October.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

I also think you are on to something. While reading this I was thinking of all the baseball talk the guys in the office do. I think I am going to paste this into an email and send it to them:)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

For sure.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

i agree with the "cardinals fans are insecure"...all the talk is obviously compensating for something....you know, like if you have to say that you're cool...you probably aren't...

9:34 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Haha! Exactly, Shelly.

8:16 AM  
Blogger g13 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 AM  
Blogger g13 said...

on a lighter note, i enjoy the blog.

10:55 AM  
Blogger g13 said...

in the spirit of president bush, i feel like being a divider instead of a uniter.

first, i find it ludicrous that you speak about our insecurities when your highly talented, but underperforming pitchers (zambrano and wood) have been stopping their feet and crying on the mound all season.

second, i would agree that cardinals fans are incredibly competitive, but that's what happens when fans comprehend and actually follow the game. for another example, visit fenway.

third, perhaps the cubs fans should focus on demoralizing, demeaning and otherwise torturing opposing fans, instead of trashing their franchise player.

i would offer a fourth, but figure it would be a waste of my time. over the years, i found that having meaningful baseball discussions with cubs fans is somewhat akin to discussing plato with a pre-schooler.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Ok, I shouldn't even give this comment the time of day, but in the spirit of the title of the post to which it is referring, I couldn't resist.

Your first comment is like a Matt Morris softball thrown right over the plate. Notice in my post that I was speaking of the Cardinals fans insecurities. I wasn't speaking of the Cardinal players themselves. So I don't necessarily see the correlation between your insecurities about the Cubs and our pitchers "crying on the mound" and stopping their feet. I'm not sure what it means to "stop" your feet, but I'll take you word for it that it does mean something. After all, you are a Cardinals fan.

Your second comment would ring true about any baseball team. There are those that follow the team and those that say they are fans and don't follow anything. The Cardinals are no exception. A lot of people just happen to love the Cubs, so their hardcore fanbase is more diluted, perhaps.

I would say that the Cardinals, Cubs, and Red Sox have the "best fans in baseball," however.

We don't necesarrily "trash our franchise player" out of hate or spite. We just want to win, and we know that the people wearing Cubs uniforms out on the field have a lot more control over that than the people wearing red in the stands.

And finally, it's all in good fun. Thanks for the post.

Feel free to respond.

4:15 PM  
Blogger g13 said...

luke,

touche on the 'stop' thing. it's a bit humbling to realize that i deleted the first post because of a misspelling, only to leave another one in it's wake.

as for the 'best fans in baseball' thing, i would respectfully disagree. i have never heard anyone argue that the cubs fans are great baseball fans. hopelessly dedicated to old style and a jilted cardinals broadcaster, yes, excellent fans with a thorough knowledge of the game, um...in my experience, no. that being said, even though my bias is well established, after living in boston, i don't know if any fans are as passionate as red sox fans. up here they often say, 'baseball isn't a life and death matter, but the red sox are.'

as for the insecurity thing, my logic may have been jumbled, but my experience is clear. i've never met to many insecure cardinals fans. we rip on the cubs, sure, but it's not because we feel superior to them. we love the rivalry but realize that they've been a second division team for 96 years.

finally, i hope that my post was taken in fun, for that was how it was intended.

see you in the playoffs...if you make it.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home